5 tablespoons unsalted stick margarine
4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups parboiled rice
1 large white or yellow onion, diced
8 oz white button mushrooms, diced
1-1 1/2 cups jarred salsa
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded (if desired)
flour tortillas, as needed
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1. Warm broth in separate (small) stockpot, starting on high and reducing to low after it comes to a boil
2. In a large stockpot or sauté pan, melt 3 tablespoons margarine over medium-high heat.
3. Add onions and 1 tablespoon kosher salt; sauté until brown and soft, about 5-7 minutes
4. Add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon kosher salt; sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes
5. Add rice, garlic, cumin, chili powder and 2 tablespoons margarine; sauté for 2 minutes
6. Add 2 cups of stock and cover until broth is mostly absorbed
7. Add rest of stock and wait for most of broth is absorbed
8. Add salsa and black beans and stir for 5 minutes, until all broth is gone and black beans are warm
Eat plain or serve in tortillas with cheese (if desired)! Enjoy!
2 (6-8 oz) boneless, skinless salmon filets
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (regular or low-sodium)
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine teriyaki sauce, honey and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Whisk together until all of the honey has dissolved.
Put salmon filets into a 8x8 aluminum pan. Pour sauce into pan, flipping salmon so the sauce has coated both sides.
Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Flip halfway through cooking.
2 ripe avocados
1 small white onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice
Look for an avocado that is bright, dark green and has some give but isn't mushy. Cut the avocado in half and then, using a spoon, remove the pit and scoop into a bowl. The "pulp" should come right out from the skin without any problems. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. Use a folk to mash the avocado and combine all the ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
Best when refrigerated for at least one hour. Serve with chips, pita or even a salad.